On December 1, 2020, AlexRenew issued Notice to Proceed (NTP) to Traylor-Shea to design and construct the RiverRenew Tunnel System Project. NTP serves as the official start of the contract and formally kicks off AlexRenew’s partnership with Traylor-Shea. The work beginning now is primarily design and procurement of equipment. Construction activities are not anticipated to begin until Spring 2021.
The Tunnel Project includes:
- a two-mile-long, 12-foot-wide Waterfront Tunnel approximately 100 feet below ground;
- underground facilities to direct 130 million gallons of combined sewage into the tunnel system;
- a six-foot-wide Hooffs Run Interceptor;
- pumping stations housed in two large shafts; and
- superstructure to house pumping station equipment.
Reaching this milestone on time is critical to meeting the July 1, 2025 deadline to improve the waterways that connect us.
Learn More About Traylor-Shea
Traylor-Shea has extensive experience nationwide and has completed over 15 major tunnel projects in the last 30 years. Check out this short video highlighting Traylor-Shea’s 2012 Seattle Light Rail Project.