Sign up for program updates
Submit general inquiries
Obtain procurement information
Alexandria Renew Enterprises (AlexRenew) is implementing a program to capture combined sewer overflows (CSOs) from four existing outfalls in the City of Alexandria.
Learn more about the program here:
The program includes a series of deep tunnels coupled with a wet weather treatment facility proposed to be sited at AlexRenew’s state-of-the-art wastewater treatment plant.
The program is the result of legislation passed by the Commonwealth of Virginia to bring the existing CSO outfalls into compliance by July 2025. AlexRenew has partnered with the City of Alexandria to expedite the implementation of the CSO controls.
- Installation of a 2-mile long tunnel with a finished diameter of 10 to 12 feet
- Installation of a 0.5-mile long conveyance pipeline with a finished diameter of 6 feet
- Four shafts with inside diameters from 30 to 50 feet
- Five diversion chambers
- Tunnel dewatering pumping station
- Odor control facilities
- Wet weather treatment facility
- Total value: $350-550M
- Industry outreach: Fall 2018
- Procurement: 2-step Fixed-Price Design
- Build for tunnels (best value selection with collaborative RFP process)
- Construction: 2021–2025
Led by a five-member citizen board, Alexandria Renew Enterprises – or AlexRenew – is a special-purpose wastewater authority serving over 300,000 people in the City of Alexandria and parts of Fairfax county. AlexRenew treats an average of 35 million gallons of wastewater per day at their water resource recovery facility, located in Alexandria, VA’s southwest quadrant.
Register to receive procurement information and updates
Contractors and Engineering firms interested in this program’s procurement process may register here for information and updates. We anticipate being able to provide more information by Fall 2018. Please complete this form so we can be in touch with you. All fields are required.
Our mailing address is:
1800 Limerick Street
Alexandria, VA 22314